How to Insured as a Pilates or Yoga Instructor in Europe

Table of Contents

Finding reliable indemnity (or liability) insurance in Europe can be frustrating. Outside of a few countries, it might seem like a labyrinth.

I’ll tell you about my experience. But if you’d like to skip to my recommendation, just click here to be taken to that section of the article.

Case Study: Indemnity Insurance in Malta

Malta is the smallest country in Europe and has comparatively few Pilates instructors. Like many EU countries, most instructors used British firms for insurance. But, thanks to Brexit, that’s no longer an option. So where does that leave you?

In my case, I called every single available insurance company to ask about coverage. I learned that they either:

  1. Didn’t offer insurance for Pilates instructors (but where curious to learn about Pilates) or
  2. Would only insure you if you were approved by the European Register of Exercise Professionals (EREPS).

What is EREPS?

I found working with ERUBS very frustrating because there was no clear criteria for what would be considered a legitimate certification process. Of course, you register with their ERUBS-approved teachers, then you’d be recognized by the organization.

Shady racketeering scheme? Maybe. Lack of transparency? Definitely.

How I Got Insured

In my case, I was covered as a teacher under the studio where I work. The owner was able to add me because she had insurance for the studio through the company.

If not for the generosity of the owner, I would have been without hope.

Or so I thought.

Since that time I’ve come across another means of getting coverage for teaching both private and group classes. Find out about that below.

Certified Personal Trainer Focusing in Pilates or Yoga

A possible solution is to become licensed as a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT), and you would then train clients using Pilates or yoga as your modality.

For whatever reason, insurance companies smile upon online personal trainer certifications more than the in-person, in-depth certification you might have had to become a Pilates or yoga instructor. Does it make sense? Nope. But that’s insurance bureaucracy for ya!

It’s worth asking your local insurance whether they license Certified Personal Trainers (CPTs), and you can then teach your practice as the training you provide. You may find they only insure CPTs who are recognized by the European Register of Exercise Professionals (EREPS).

The fact is, if you already have a Pilates or yoga certification and then you complete a Certified Personal Trainer course, you’re super qualified for what you’re doing.

And, luckily, you can complete EREPS-recognized CPT certification online.

Recommendation: ACE Certified Personal Trainer

We recommend the online course by ACE for some pretty simple reasons:

  1. It’s recognized by many insuring agencies
  2. It’s recognized by EREPS
  3. You can do it online
  4. It’s actually a good program
  5. It opens doors for you beyond your current training

Numbers 1 and 2 above are related: If you’re recognized by EREPS, it’s much easier to get insured. And ACE has a good relation with EREPS, as stated on their website:

“ACE Personal Trainers and Group Fitness Instructors are the first industry professionals certified within the United States to be recognized as meeting standards of practice in Europe.

ACE-certified Personal Trainers and Group Fitness Instructors can now join the European Register of Exercise Professionals (EREPS), an inventory referenced during the hiring process by more than 10,000 clubs throughout Europe.” (Source:

There are certainly more comprehensive Certified Personal Trainer programs out there (check out our review of the Brookbush Institute’s CPT program, as well as our guide to using it). But if you’re primarily interested in teaching Pilates or yoga and treating—for insurance purposes—as a modality of your personal training, then ACE is probably your quickest, cheapest, and easiest route.

Recent posts

No posts found